21 February 2011

Lemon-Zucchini Cornmeal Cookies

In our most recent co-op pick up, we got a zucchini. Since Clay has been out of town so much, I knew it would go bad before we could eat it so I thought and thought about what to make with it in the meantime...

After a little searching on marthastewart.com, I found this recipe for Lemon-Zucchini Cornmeal Cookies. And fortunately, I had all the ingredients!

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste, which is what I use)
1 tsp lemon zest (I used more because I love lemon so much!)
1 tsp coarse salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
1 medium zucchini, grated on the small holes of a box grater (about 1 cup)


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Then combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl. 

 Mix with a wooden spoon until pale and fluffy. (I suppose you could use a mixer, but everything in your kitchen would be covered with a fine layer of powdered sugar!)

Stir in the vanilla, lemon zest, and salt.

Add flour and cornmeal.

Mix until the dough is crumbly like this:

Add zucchini and stir until a thick dough forms.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto baking sheet.
I love to use my Silpat baking mat - they're reusable and ensure that my cookies are evenly baked!

Bake until cookies are golden brown around the edges, about 25 to 30 minutes.
 Allow to cool and enjoy!

1 comment:

Margo said...

hi! I'm thinking of making these - did you like them? I never made a cookie with cornmeal in it before.