01 March 2010

I Can't Believe It's Not Bacon

Recently Oprah featured several health food gurus on her show, one of which was Alicia Silverstone. (I was surprised too.) Apparently Alicia has a cookbook out called The Kind Diet - and I was intrigued (who doesn't want to be kind?) so I headed to the local library to check it out.

In this cookbook, Alicia talks about the vegan lifestyle and why everyone should make that choice too...and once you make it through two chapters of proselytizing then FINALLY she gets to the recipes. I am up for trying anything once (case in point: kumquats), so I picked a few recipes for a test-run.

The first recipe I tried was the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups.



















I mean, who doesn't like chocolate and peanut butter? An instant success - and no leftovers after the Super Bowl party!

In addition to recipes, the book listed several swaps you can make for your everyday grocery items, such as vegan bacon for regular bacon. I know, I know - vegan bacon is a total oxymoron. Nevertheless, I added it to the grocery list. And I came home with a box.

Surprisingly, my husband actually ate it (although he indicated he would prefer not to do so again)! So, there I was, left with 3/4 a box of vegan bacon. I tried to think of some way to eat it all...and so I proceeded to have BLTs for the next week - and in the process discovered my new favorite sandwich:

Two slices of whole grain toast, a slathering of vegan mayonaise (better than the real stuff - promise), two thick pieces of tomato, a leaf of crisp lettuce, and a few slices of vegan bacon. YUM.

I probably won't be jumping on the vegan bandwagon any time soon. But for now, I will just dabble. And enjoy. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter and chocolate...the basic ingredients for a superb desert!! U Go girl!

Dad