14 July 2010

I Scream For Ice Cream

Did you know that July is National Ice Cream Month? Not that you need another excuse to eat ice cream...or do you?! :D

In honor of this momentous occasion (enjoying a big bowl of the creamy stuff is an occasion in and of itself), I have decided to share with you my very favorite recipe for the simplest, easiest, tastiest Oreo ice cream. My husband Clay wholeheartedly agrees. After all, he and the ice cream maker are like this:


Oreo Ice Cream

2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream (I die)
1 cup milk
1/2 package Oreo cookies, crumbled

After eating a few pieces, stick crumbled Oreos in the fridge. :D Meanwhile, whisk eggs together in a mixing bowl for about a minute until light and fluffy. Add the sugar a little at a time until dissolved, then continue whisking another minute. (Talk about an arm workout!) Pour in cream and milk, again whisking to blend. Pour into prepared ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions. During the last two minutes of the cycle, add half to 3/4 of the crumbled Oreos. After transferring to a storage container (not that it will be there very long!), sprinkle remaining Oreos over the top. Yum.


What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Do you prefer homemade or store-bought? Please share the scoop on what you're scooping. :D

1 comment:

karen said...

i need no excuse to enjoy ice cream! although having one helps the guilt a little bit :)

my all time store bought favorite is HEB mint chocolate chip. craved it when your husband and his brother were in my tummy, and 27 years later i still love it as much.

and, for homemade kinds...your oreo is definitely a winner in my tummy.

hmmm, i think i hear (mint) chip calling my name. bye!