12 June 2010

Restaurant Review: Twisted Root

Several weeks ago, I had made plans to go out to dinner with my sister. As we were discussing details, she suggested that we go to Twisted Root Burger in Roanoke. Roanoke? I thought. What kind of hamburger could possibly be good enough that I would drive all the way to Roanoke for it?

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I have discovered just what that hamburger tastes like - and it tastes good!

For those of you not acquainted with Twisted Root (originally, of Deep Ellum fame), it is the brain-child of a couple of businessmen-turned-chefs in search of a quality hamburger. Their restaurants - well, the Roanoke location, at least - are rustic in decor with a generous seasoning of flair. Here you can see a sign near the entrance to the restaurant:

(It should read, "Get your buns in here" but the camera on my iPhone cut it off. Totally not user error. :D)

And when it comes time to order, the menu is full of mouthwatering choices! All of the hamburgers are made with a half pound of beef (or venison or buffalo or boar - you know, just to keep things interesting), so you definitely need to bring your appetite - or a friend to share it with!

Each customer gets a "name tag" in lieu of an order number, and when your food is ready they call the name on your tag. We were Danny Zuko. Other patrons this evening included Jessica Simpson, Stretch Armstrong, and Eva Longoria. It was so funny to hear them calling out these celebrity names. :D

I ordered the Western Burger, which came topped with pepper jack cheese, onion strings and jalapenos. Yum!

They also make some darn tasty curly fries (think Arby's-style but better!) and a pretty mean sweet potato chip.

Another little treat is that they brew their own root beer, which my sister said is "just like crack." (My words, not hers.)

Today's flavor was butterscotch. I couldn't really tell that it tasted much different from regular root beer, but it was definitely good! They also had watermelon iced tea, which I sampled and am definitely hunting up a recipe for. :D

Both my sister and I were unable to finish our hamburgers, but Clay worked hard in the yard today and decided he needed to reward himself with an Oreo milkshake.

(Notice how he strategically places his hand so as to guard it just in case. :D)

I would definitely recommend Twisted Root if you're in the Roanoke or Dallas area. Or even if you're in the mood for a drive! You will not be disappointed. :)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

We love Twisted Root. It is on our way in from Lubbock and is a frequent dinner stop.

My favorite Roanoke restaurant is Babe's, though. Have you tried it?